Friday, January 13, 2006

Speaking of Translations part 3

Back to translations for a moment.

This is what I said when I first began talking about translations

“I’ve studied the Bible long enough that reading the more “modern” translations seems, I dunno, sort of “disrespectful” and “un-studying” to me. I do tell people, however, if you’re new to the Bible, read one of the more “flowing” translations, such as “The New Living Translation” or even “The Message.” I personally don’t like “The Message” but some Bible teachers that I greatly admire use it, so that tells me that it is ok, but I just don’t like it.”

I have since actually read from “The New Living Translation” - WOW! Am I ever impressed! I’d heard it was good, but man, it is very good! There are no feelings of “disrespect” or “un-studying” at all! Not only do the story lines flow, but even the most poetic of writings are beautiful.

We used verse 1 from the 23rd Psalm as an example before - this is how it reads in The New Living Translation, “The Lord is my shepherd; I have everything I need. He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name.

Even when I walk through the dark valley of death, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me. You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You welcome me as a guest, anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings. Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.”

I just couldn’t resist printing it all. And you know what? As I was reading that (even now) I noticed, maybe for the first time, that the Psalm changes from talking about the Lord in the third person (He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me…) to talking to the Lord, personally (Even when I walk through the dark valley of death, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me. emphasis added.)

Now, see what “really reading, what we’re reading” can do?

Next time - back to another “idea” to try…

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve Heyduck said...

Great point about the NLT! When my teenage daughter asked for a bible, I bought her the Lew Living Translation because 1) it is readable and 2) I recognize the names of many on the translation committee.

Whenever I am asked which translation I recommend, I answer, "the one you'll READ."

12:02 PM  
Blogger Betty Newman said...

Ex-actly Steve! The most important thing is getting into the Word!

I've often said, "To know the God of this Word, you've got to know the Word of this God!" And the only way to do that is read it.

Betty

12:31 PM  
Blogger see-through faith said...

The Message IS good - but a bit too American at times for us in Europe.

and steve I love your answer :)

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Kerstin Berthold said...

Dear Betty, I just stumbled over your blog as I googled the meaning for : for your name's sake. I am so blessed reading your thoughts and let me tell you something: The Lord showed me the same revelation about how it changes from Third Person SIngualar (HE) to 2.nd Person Singular which is PERSONAL YOU. And it changes to the YOU when it is the hardest time, in teh valley of the shadow of death. Isn't that amazing? I am a German Missionary living in South Africa. My blog is http://lightonlichtan.blogspot.com
May you be blessed abundantly.
Kerstin

2:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home