Tuesday, December 20, 2005

What brought me to searching the internet - part 4

(First of all, let me apologize for the delay in this story/journey - my Dad has been in the hospital [see the Prayerlogue posts] and is now home under Hospice care. As an only child, I am staying at his house caring for him. My husband comes by after work to eat supper with me before going home - it’s almost like dating again! After 30+ years, not living together is the pits!)

Now, on with the story. Where would we turn now…?

Just as Joe and I were struggling with where to turn for “truth” and teaching, many (more) issues were also coming up in the Church (as a whole) that we were dealing with, and questioning.

Through my Prayerlogue blog, I had become aware of a whole “blogosphere” out there, and began following some of the issues, finding that, ‘Hey! We’re not alone in what we believe!”

We’re not the only ones with a disdain for the politics of the Church. We’re not the only ones who long for the Scriptural teachings of Wesley. We’re not the only conservatives left! (Oh, how many times I’ve felt like Elijah - like we were the only ones left…)

We have found many “friends” on the internet and that has helped us in our journey as well as giving us encouragement. I’ve always felt like I was “Between a (Theological) Rock and a Hard Place” because of what I believe. I frequently find myself at odds with the folks around me - “Theology-wise”. I’ve often said, “I’m too liberal for the conservatives, and too conservative for the liberals.” For our regular church members, I’m somewhat of a “fanatic”. They can’t seem to understand why I get so upset over our literature and disturbed with what is being preached from the pulpit (which far too often has been “nothing!”)

[I will say, though, that we have a young man now as our pastor who shows real potential! The “worship” part of his worship services are filling and uplifting. And, his sermons are growing. He is inexperienced, yes, but he shows a real hunger to serve God, and God will use that. Many folks have likened him to Marvin Howard, who is now our Conference Evangelist. Marvin came to our circuit in 1964 as a young, and very new, pastor. We’ve always jokingly said that “we trained him up right!” I joined the church in the fall of 1964 as a 10-year old, after taking confirmation class, and have always had a special place in my heart for Marvin.]

So, back to my reason for this blog.

As I stated in the first installment, I thought it would be apathy that closed our church, and while apathy is a very serious matter, our UMC is facing issues far more serious than apathy.

I have been saying since the late 80’s that I feared that our Church (as a whole) would soon split over the liberal agenda of homosexuality. There are many other issues which tear our church apart, but this one tops the list. Of course, our church members have looked at me in the past like I was crazy, but as time goes on, I think they can’t help but see what I’m talking about.

So, I wanted to be able to write about my “location” (between this rock and this hard place…) without “muddying” up my Prayerlogue. I truly want the Prayerlogue to be a place of prayers, meditations, and devotions that not only reach to the heart of spiritual need, but sings to the heights of heaven in Glory to God.

This blog will be purely my opinion, with prayerfully, direction from God…

Comments are always welcome.

Betty

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home