Friday, December 30, 2005

Speaking of Translations

Speaking of Bible translations - As Shane does in Wesley Blog
http://www.wesleyblog.com/2005/12/bloggers_discus.html

This is how I feel...
I’ve been “old school” long before I was old enough to be “old school.” I grew up reading the King James Version until I was a teenager, (60’s) then I switched to The Living Bible and The Good News For Modern Man - for a short while.

It wasn’t long before I went back to the KJV. I tried the Revised Standard Version because that was what the UMC used in all its literature, but I still didn’t feel comfortable with it.

Then I found the New American Standard Bible (NSAB) and I love it. However, to find scriptures that I’ve memorized over the years, I often have to go back to the KJV to find them.

So, I love the KJV and the NSAB. I am comfortable enough with my “womanhood” that reading “man” doesn’t bother me. In fact I detest “inclusive” language. It is so often “over done” that it is ridiculous!

I mean, c’mon, “Because God loved God’s people, God sent God’s Only Son into the world…” how silly does that sound when you read it?

I especially dislike the way our hymns have been changed. When one sings (as I often do) without even looking at the hymnal because the songs are so ingrained in the heart, the “inclusive” language can really trip up the flow of the song.

But, enough of that. I just don’t read those translations.

I’ve studied the Bible long enough that reading the more “modern” translations seems, I dunno, sort of “disrespectful” and “un-studying” to me. I do tell people, however, if you’re new to the Bible, read one of the more “flowing” translations, such as “The New Living Translation” or even “The Message.” I personally don’t like “The Message” but some Bible teachers that I greatly admire use it, so that tells me that it is ok, but I just don’t like it.

I have downloaded e-Sword ( www.e-sword.com ) on my laptop for use in studying. It’s great! (And Free!) I have about a dozen translations at my fingertips as well as major commentaries, dictionaries, and concordances. I can spend hours “chasing rabbits”! (This is what I call it when I start out studying one thing and find myself going a totally different direction because of something else I found…)

The main key isn’t which translation one uses, it’s getting into the Bible on a regular and consistent basis. I’m convinced that the major block to knowing what the Bible is saying is that we just don’t really read what we’re reading.

I’ll talk more about that next time…

Betty

3 Comments:

Blogger John said...

The NASB is my first choice, too.

7:51 AM  
Blogger see-through faith said...

interesting

you dont mention NIV - in europe that's choice number one, because it's simple language but a fairly accurate translation

KJV is simply too hard for non native speakers and NKJV well, just didn't catch on

I'm not keen on the over use of gender appropriate language but I do have one quibble - the word son - I prefer to see the word heir there. To use daughter is to miss the point.

blessings for 2006

1:08 PM  
Blogger Betty Newman said...

Thank you for your comments. I don't particularly like the NIV. Don't ask my why, I don't really know - there's just "something" about it that I'm not comfortable with. However, both our boys prefer that translation.

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home